Media - Journalism - Newspaper
Assistant News Director-12576
Broadcasting - Radio - TV
WCNC in Charlotte is looking for a leader to help build trust with our audience through strong journalism. The role of Assistant News Director will be filled by a collaborative, experienced journalist who’s great at juggling multiple projects and wants to focus on growing journalists. This person will be passionate about developing the very best news coverage possible across all platforms on a daily basis, making sure our content reflects the diverse communities we represent. WCNC believes everyone should get training and coaching to help them succeed. Our leadership team works together to build a strong culture and works collaboratively.
This critical team member leads the day-to-day production of editorial content across multiple platforms with a specific eye toward coaching the reporters and multiskilled journalists on staff. Through careful coaching, this role elevates their storytelling, writing, and execution daily.
- Collaborate to execute long-term newsroom strategy
- Oversee the daily editorial process
- Oversee the on-air execution of newscasts
- Train, develop and coach the newsroom team with a focus on mentoring content creators across all platforms to elevate writing, crafting and storytelling
- Source and recruit top notch journalists
- Participate in coordinating all aspects of coverage, from breaking news to enterprise story production and news specials.
- Ensure that news coverage meets the brand, company policies, industry codes, FCC rules and station values
- Direct newsroom operations, review scripts and manage schedules
- Work with the news director and other managers to establish newsroom goals and work to develop and further brand
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, related field and/or news leadership experience
- 5 years of industry experience with leadership/management experience
- Track record of quality journalism, high integrity and ethical decision making
- Passion for growing journalists and fostering a creative and positive newsroom environment
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.