Media - Journalism - Newspaper
Assignment Editor - 007770
Broadcasting - Radio - TV
WCNC-TV in Charlotte, North Carolina has an exciting opportunity for an Assignment Editor. We’re looking for someone to cover and pursue stories in new ways. This Assignment Editor is responsible for managing assignments, coordinating vehicle logistics, monitoring phones, scanners, wires, digital platforms and keeping up with local contacts to ensure newsroom is aware of all potential stories, especially breaking news.
- Reviews all news releases, monitors police and fire scanners, monitors other local and national news sources as well as all digital platforms for story ideas.
- Monitors news releases, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and any other online news sources and posts them to wcnc.com.
- Plans and assigns the news stories of the day and large news event coverage.
- Coordinates crews and logistics to make sure the selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff.
- Contacts news management in the event of significant breaking news that requires additional resources or would require interrupting regular programming.
- Post stories and photos to WCNC-TV Digital-Mobile-Social platforms.
- Develops and maintains vehicle logistics program.
- Attends daily planning meeting with News Director and Assistant News Director.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism/communications or equivalent experience in the field.
- 2+ years web/newsroom experience.
- Strong communication skills, conflict management and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills in a fast paced environment and deadline driven environment.
- Requires sound news judgment, the ability to work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations.
- Experience posting stories to digital-mobile-social platforms.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must understand the basic setup of Satellite and TVU technology.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 49 television stations and two radio stations in 41 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 30 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA also delivers innovative and unparalleled solutions for advertisers through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.