Digital Journalist | Online Storyteller
WRAL-TV / Capitol Broadcasting Company
|Company||WRAL-TV / Capitol Broadcasting Company|
|Position||Digital Journalist | Online Storyteller|
|Description||All candidates must apply online at https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=ojQNafwQ&s=NC_Assn._of_Broadcasters
The Digital Journalist/Online Storyteller is part of the team that works directly with WRAL’s digital platforms: websites, mobile apps and social media. This person spends about half of their time creating original content primarily for web and apps and the other half updating our digital platforms.
We are looking for a curious and resourceful self-starter who is an idea factory for creating engaging and viral online content that speaks to our audience and their second or third screen. This person is responsible for making sure what people are talking about (or what they will be talking about) is represented on WRAL digital, social and television platforms.
Reporting to the Online Managing Editor, the successful candidate will:
• Embrace unique and compelling ways to present content using text, video, photos and interactive elements that stand out and get attention on the WRAL.com home page and can get traction on social media platforms.
• Find and pitch innovative angles with timely stories.
• Be a strong storyteller who gets Facebook, Crowd Tangle and can sniff out a story from social listening along with an innate ability to find and write viral stories. Write for digital, social and television, leveraging the best style practices of each
• Write, edit and post news stories using AP Style from a variety of sources, including WRAL-TV, web curation, original reporting, network news partners, social media and wire services, with an emphasis on delivering breaking news and enterprise news quickly and accurately to WRAL.com users and our social media platforms.
• Write short stories for television and on-air newscasts.
• Conceive, create and post original video for WRAL.com and our social media platforms by leveraging content from WRAL-TV, online video platforms and our network news partners.
• Select and edit compelling images, create photo galleries, online polls and quizzes to augment online articles and increase page engagement.
• Have a firm grasp of SEO and apply it when crafting headlines, online stories and other supporting content that helps drive search traffic to WRAL.com.
• Contribute to WRAL social media channels while interacting with fans/followers.
• Must be able to work all shifts, including days, nights, weekend and holidays.
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
• BS/BA in journalism, digital media or related discipline.
• 2-4 years of experience in a newsroom with a significant digital operation.
• Experience with content management systems, HTML, image creation/editing, social media platforms.
• Experience with video creation and editing software, including Adobe Premiere and/or other video software programs.
• Ability to multi-task, remain calm under pressure and be able to write several stories a day as well as the ability to craft longer form stories.
• Ability to work well with others and take direction for assignment completion.
• The ability to use real-time and historical analytics to guide site programming and content creation decisions.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
• Strong desire to create/manage digital content that is engaging and resonates with users.
• Must be a self-starter who can generate compelling story ideas with no or minimal supervision.
• Must be excellent at time management and project management.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• The ability to learn new things and embrace new workflows based on industry changes.
• A sense of humor.
• Experience using video editing software, like Adobe Premiere would be helpful.
A writing test may be required for candidates.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.