Social Media Producer (Temporary)
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC
|Position||Social Media Producer, Temporary|
|Description||WUNC Social Media Producer, Temporary
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC, Chapel Hill
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC is hiring a temporary Social Media Producer.
WUNC Radio provides quality news, information and entertainment programming to a broad listening audience that includes North Carolina, the United States and the world. WUNC serves North Carolinians from Greensboro to the Outer Banks through a network of seven stations, with a weekly cume of 400,000 listeners.
The university is currently piloting a flexible work arrangements program, and this position may be eligible to participate in the program based on the hiring unit’s business needs.
The temporary Social Media Producer reports to the Digital News Editor. The position is based in our Durham office with limited remote opportunities. The candidate must be able to join colleagues in-person in the Durham office as needed.
WUNC, a statewide public media service, seeks a producer to distribute its breaking news journalism and storytelling reach through digital and social media platforms. This producer will lead the creative distribution of news and podcast content through a factual, narrative approach.
The position will include the following specific duties:
• Take news broadcast and podcast content and distribute appropriately (original audiograms, graphics, videos, live Twitter threads) with timeliness, accuracy, editorial judgment, and an eye for design
• Manage audience engagement with podcasts (polls, hashtag campaigns, event host for Q&As/AMAs)
• Monitor local/state news trends
• Connect directly with social accounts that will like, share and engage with our content
• Collaborate with podcast producers and news reporters on social engagement for their coverage
This individual will be comfortable managing projects across multiple timelines, balancing short-term and long-term projects. They will work both independently and collaboratively. The right candidate will have a strong background in journalism and the ability to be ethical and swift with information-sharing in breaking news situations. Successful candidates will be fluent in journalistic writing, trend tracking and content creation on all major platforms and have a willingness to experiment responsibly on emerging digital platforms.
Minimum Education & Experience Required:
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of experience related to the area of assignment in a broadcast television, radio and emerging media environment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Leading candidates will have:
• Minimum 3 years’ experience as a digital/social media producer or editor
• Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
• Proven collaboration skills
• Excellent organizational skills and time-management skills
• Strong research and journalism skills
• Experience transforming news events and headlines into engaging online storytelling
• Graphic design and/or video editing skills
We recognize not all candidates will come from public radio backgrounds and we encourage candidates who have other applicable skills to apply. You may help boost our reporting and coverage in unexpected ways.
Interested applicants must apply at:
https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/217530. Candidates should be prepared to attach a current CV, cover letter, and references. Please also provide a link, or links, to one of your social media projects as directed in the posting. The deadline to apply is 1/2/2022.
WUNC-FM and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and welcomes all to apply without regard to age, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. WUNC is committed to anti-racism, diversity, and to building an inclusive newsroom.