Media - Journalism - Newspaper
Broadcasting - Radio - TV
WCNC, the TEGNA-owned NBC affiliate in Charlotte, NC seeks an experienced, dynamic, and energetic Investigative Reporter / MSJ to join our team. We are looking for a great storyteller who loves to cut through government red tape for the viewers, holds the powerful accountable, willing to dig and push until we get change. You should be an ethical, trusted journalist who demonstrates strong research capabilities and skills using the latest tools and techniques to produce compelling investigative stories with impact to help make a difference in the lives of our viewers.
- Collaborate with the Special Projects EP and investigative team
- Enterprise and develop short-term and long-term investigative news projects and stories under our brand “Where’s the Money”
- Contribute to daily and breaking news content
- Dig into complex and important community issues
- Develop reliable sources and contacts in general and specialized areas of interest
- Use open records laws and computer assisted reporting skills to find information and data that lend depth and context to your stories
- Write in an exciting, captivating, and authentic manner for multiple platforms
- Help with production ideas for data content in on-air and online stories
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
- Shoot and edit while using the latest tools to help tell great stories
- Use creative production techniques, graphics, and new forms of media
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
- BA/BS in journalism, communication or related field
- 5 plus years of experience as a journalist
- Seasoned on-air presence and personality
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Understanding of the tenants of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of consumer, investigative and breaking news reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active news presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
- Work Environment Set: Outdoors: performed in various outdoor environmental conditions
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.